You might be surprised to discover the benefits of living car-free.
“Some seniors wrestle with the idea of no longer driving,” says Matthew Jackson, General Manager of The Waterford Seniors Community in Tsawwassen, BC. “It doesn’t have to be a bad thing! Over the years, I’ve seen many new residents move in and experience relief at being able to hang up their car keys.”
There are many benefits to living car-free. And if you plan ahead, you can do it without relying on friends and family.
Five Benefits of Living Car-Free
- Save money on gas, insurance, parking fees and vehicle repairs.
- Enjoy the many health benefits of walking more.
- No more driving at night, driving in bad weather or driving in bad traffic.
- Contribute to a healthier planet by reducing carbon emissions.
- Reduce traffic in your community and support transit development.
5 Decisions to Ensure You Thrive Without Having to Drive
- Choose to live in a walkable neighbourhood. Prioritize being close to shops, medical services and civic amenities like libraries and rec centres. Sidewalks and crosswalks are a must!
- All-inclusive senior living communities provide everything you need in-house. No more need to drive for shopping, errands or visiting. And as a bonus, Bria Communities residences offer a courtesy shuttle service as well as regular excursions on our 18-passenger bus.
- Get an electric bike, trike or scooter as an inexpensive and fun way to go farther faster.
- Make transit a hobby and a habit. Challenge yourself to understand and use bus schedules to get to exciting destinations. Take advantage of discounts for senior riders.
- Know your options. There are many driving services, and some cater specifically to older adults. Investigate no-cost options like HandyDART. Find out if your local seniors centre offers a volunteer driver program.
Could hanging up your car keys improve the quality of your life? Matt thinks it can. “With a little planning and research, I believe it’s possible to actually look forward to the day when you no longer have to drive!”
Discover more about how you can thrive without having to drive. Schedule a tour to discover our lifestyle tailor-made for the freedom of living car-free.