On March 9, 2017, International Women’s Day, Pam Murphy, Area General Manager for both Magnolia Gardens and Sunridge Gardens was interviewed as part of the women in leadership feature in the Langley Times newspaper. As an employee since 1998 and active member of the Langley community, Pam is an inspirational and accomplished leader—a great example to all.
Below are some key takeaways and advice from her article. Hopefully, these tips can inspire your career.
Advice for Women in Leadership Positions
- Take opportunities as they come. One opportunity led to another, and eventually Pam was asked to market Magnolia Gardens, the retirement phase of a master planned community known as The Meadows.
- Be compelled and passionate about your work. Marketing to seniors gave Pam satisfaction when she received real insight into challenging decisions that older people face when downsizing and she was compelled to hear their needs and thoughts.
- Be grateful and open to learning. Pam made Magnolia Gardens a warm and welcoming place, just like home for visitors and residences. She is open to learning from her customers and residents, and feels privileged to have so many people guide her along the way.
- Be proud of where you work. Pam found a company which gives her a genuine sense of belonging to something larger than herself and feel a sense of pride.
- Get involved in the community. Pam is a founding member of of the Fraser Valley Transportation Co-operative and Langley Care initiative that solves issues around elder care.
- Just get started. For those young entrepreneurs, Pam advises that everyone needs to start sometime. Be true to your values and convictions, and find something you love doing and do it to the best of your ability.